2015 Manifesto – TO BE UPDATED
York Greens recognise the central importance of good services for children and young people. We will:
- maintain and develop York’s playgrounds and playing fields. Seek funds for a centrally located playground away from road traffic.
- Require developers to provide on-site play space and equipment for all new developments of more than a few houses
- seek to restore at least some of the cuts to Council-run Youth Services, whilst also working with the voluntary and community sectors to provide a wide range of out of school activities and facilities for young people across the city.
- Retain the three Personal Support and Inclusion Worker posts that work with vulnerable young people and seek appropriate premises for the Castlegate holistic support service – now The Haven @ 30 Clarence St
- support the development of a city centre facility including a cafe for young people – 30 Clarence Street has been opened
- support the YorOK website and York Family Information Service as valuable information sources for families and young children
- work closely with voluntary sector organisations such as York Learning (formerly Future Prospects) to provide support, advice and training for young people and others
In addition, we will lobby the new Government to extend the Living Wage to everyone including young people, support cheap access to public transport for young people and lower the voting age to 16.