A fair and affordable city for everyone
Equalities – a Council that puts equalities first
We believe the Council’s commitment to both equality of opportunity and financial equality has slipped under this administration.
- Carry out a wholesale review of the Council’s commitment to equalities with a view to reintroducing effective equality impact assessments of all important decisions. This is not currently being applied in practice.
- Re-establish more effective forums or other arrangements as needed for consulting and working alongside disadvantaged groups in York including people with disabilities, racial and religious minorities, women’s groups and LGBTIQ groups.
- Work in partnership with York Human Rights City, York City of Sanctuary, York Race Equality Network, Refugee Action York and faith communities in York.
- Take positive action to welcome and support refugees and asylum seekers in York.
- Revisit the Council’s Anti-Poverty Strategy and ensure all opportunities to reduce financial inequality in the city are explored.