The Lord Mayor and Sheriff of York send off the the York contingent of Calais Rally for refugees
19 June 2016
The Lord Mayor and Sheriff waved off the six cars from York (including Green Party member Tom Franklin) taking aid to refugees in Calais as part of the Rally to Calais.
In all over 250 cars, vans and a lorry headed for Calais on Saturday 18 June. Unfortunately the cars were stopped at Dover by the French authorities and not allowed to proceed. After several hours of fruitless negotiation the rally went to the French embassy in London and left some of the aid on the embassy steps for the French authorities to take to the refugees.
We are shocked and appalled that the French stopped the convoy from bringing much needed aid to the refugees.
- Sheffield Greens demand urgent air pollution action
- Petition on £1 Billion cuts refused by NHS England
- Syria Vigil in Hull
- Greens to launch LGBTIQA+ manifesto in church
- Green Party agrees electoral alliance with Women’s Equality Party
- Corbyn and May 'running scared' of TV debates, says Lucas